Security Engineer – cryptography
Location: London, remote working available
Role: Senior Engineer – Cryptography
We’re an IoT cyber security start-up, based in Belfast, with offices in London and The Hague. Our goal is to revolutionise the safety and resilience of machine-to-machine (M2M) communications of the future. With 1 trillion connected devices by 2025, the cyber security threat will increase exponentially. At Angoka, our innovative technology creates trust between devices to allow secure communication over zero trust networks.
Since our formation, we have been moving at a high speed. We have already been named as the Top Cyber Security company in NI, ranked 4th in NI’s Top 50 Tech companies, and nominated for Start-up of the Year. We’re also one of the Top 3 Hottest Space Tech start-ups in Europe!
Our ground-breaking technology has also led us to be a part of prestigious programmes, such as Tech Nation’s Cyber 2.0, and Seraphim Space Camp. We are the first (and only!) NI cyber security company to be a part of the NCSC Cyber Accelerator.
To achieve our goal, we’re growing our gifted, talented and international team. We aim to combine the best business and technical brains, to build a workplace where we continue to create breakthroughs at the forefront of technology.
We are looking for a security engineer specialised in designing and implementing cryptographic protocols and controls. You will help develop ground-breaking research into commercially viable, and reliable, hardware and software authentication and encryption products. You will advance our research efforts in the area of authenticating and securing communication in zero-trust networks and zero-knowledge systems.
You will report to the CTO and Engineering Lead.
- Lead and contribute to all stages in the development and delivery of critical elements of the cryptographic system underpinning Angoka’s solution
- Verify and test the cryptographic principles used within Angoka’s products
- Develop cryptographic libraries for use within Angoka’s suite of products
- Contribute to the various stages in the accreditation of Angoka’s cryptographic systems by national and international standard and governmental bodies
- Explore and participate in the development of new quantum-safe cryptographic principles/systems that utilise physically unclonable functions (PUFs) and Trusted Platform Models (TPMs)
- Identify and develop research into future concepts for cryptography and cryptographic systems
- Provide technical expertise and advice to junior team members and support them to build their security and cryptographic skills and knowledge
- Deliver high-quality technical analysis, reports, and presentations to senior management, and clients
- Writing patents and research papers where appropriate
- Attend and deliver talks at industry seminars and conferences and other events relevant to Angoka
- Solid working experience in developing and implementing cryptographic principles and controls.
- Strong knowledge and experience in cryptographic key management and life cycle.
- Proven ability in designing cryptographic principles and protocols for secure communication.
- Good knowledge and experience with Hardware Security Models (HSMs), Trusted Platform Models (TPMs), Security Elements and Physical Unclonable Functions (PuFs) is a bonus
- Working knowledge of one or more of the following security concepts and principles: Zero Knowledge Proof, Zero Trust Model, Group Signatures and Distributed Certificate Authorities – is essential
- Proven experience (3-5 years) of working in a security role, focused on implementing and testing cryptographic systems to secure real-time computing, high availability networks and communication systems.
- Qualified to at least an MSc degree in cyber security, cryptography, mathematics, computer science, or a related field
- A PhD in cryptography, cyber security, mathematics, or related fields is a bonus
- Applicable knowledge and experience in one or more of the following industries: Cyber Security, Telecom, Defence and Critical National Infrastructure
- Proven ability to rapidly interpret technical and business requirements and understand complex trade-offs in drawing conclusions and recommendations.
- Proven ability to engage and work with other technical experts and incorporate their input and feedback.
- Solid working knowledge of MATLAB, C, C++ and Python
- Proven ability to communicate complex topics clearly and concisely
- Excellent verbal and written technical English communications skills
Why you should apply
- Competitive salary
- Flexible working hours / ability to work from home
- Quick career progression, with the opportunity to advance to a Lead Engineer role
- 25 days holiday, plus all bank holidays
- Personal growth opportunities (e.g. develop your technical skills, attend cyber security conferences and industry events, and mentoring – just to name a few!)
- Friendly, open and transparent culture
- You’ll get to join a passionate VC backed start-up, and be able to help shape its growth from the get-go
- Plus, perks such as team events and more!
Angoka is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We welcome and encourage applicants from all backgrounds and experiences. We do not tolerate discrimination or harassment. At Angoka, all our hiring decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture that supports and represents our diverse society.